We’ve been cooking a lot the past 2 weeks because of #homequarantine and #socialdistancing. And I’m absolutely loving it! I found this particular albondigas recipe online and it is comfort food x 39761935712. The meatballs are so tasty and the broth is perfection. It’s such an easy recipe – check it out below!
For the stock:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 quarts of chicken stock or beef stock
- 1 quart of water
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound of green beans, strings and ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, crumbled, or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the meatballs:
- 1/3 cup of raw white rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh spearmint leaves
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- A dash of cayenne (optional)
- Make the soup broth with onion, garlic, broth, tomato sauce, carrots and green beans: Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot (5-qt) over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add stock, water, and tomato sauce. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add carrots and string beans.
- Prepare the meatballs: Mix rice into meat, adding mint leaves and parsley, salt and pepper. Mix in raw egg. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Add meatballs to soup, let simmer, add peas: Gently add the meatballs to the simmering soup, one at a time. Cover and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Add the peas towards the end of the hour. Add a few pinches of oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and extra mint. Squeeze some fresh-squeezed lemon at the end for taste!
Adapted from Simply Recipes