Ethan harvested the lemons. I baked them. And Jordan ate them. Might need to start a family business. 🙂 These lemon bars were super easy to make and it was a hit with the fam! Who knew that lemon bars could be so delicious? So tart and tangy! (see recipe below)
For the shortbread crust:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the lemon filling:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13 glass baking pan, then line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides.
- Shortbread crust: Mix the melted butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir to completely combine. The dough will be thick. Press firmly into prepared pan, making sure the layer is even. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Lemon filling: Sift the sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Add the eggs and lemon juice and whisk until completely combined.
- Pour filling over warm crust. Bake the bars for 25-30 minutes or until the center is somewhat set and no longer jiggling. Remove bars from the oven and cool at room temperature for 3 hours, then stick in the refrigerator for 2 more hours until chilled. These lemon bars are best when served chilled!
- Once cool, lift parchment paper out of the pan (using the overhang) on sides. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.Cover and store leftover lemon bars in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.